Thrive celebrates Pride Month alongside the LGBTQAI+ community. The dynamic community is one of energy, art, creativity, and, of course, diversity. Pride Month offers us an opportunity to come together, despite our backgrounds. This month, let’s nurture our collective mental health by spreading love, seeking to understand different backgrounds, forgiving each other’s shortcomings, and above all, celebrating the LGBTQAI+ community.
QUOTES TO ELEVATE YOUR PRIDE MONTH MINDSET
In need of some inspiration for your Pride Month mindset? Here are some of our favorite quotes celebrating the LGBTQAI+ community.
“Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start.” — Jason Collins
You have an inner-magic, unique to you. Don’t apologize for it. Instead of trying to fit in, live honestly and confidently. As a result, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing you are true to yourself.
Practice the Golden Rule:
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” — Barack Obama
Treat each other with dignity. There’s a reason it’s the golden rule. If you’re struggling to relate to someone, consider how you would be different if you faced the same circumstances as that individual.
Love is the Answer:
“The only queer people are those who don’t love anybody.” — Rita Mae Brown
Love selflessly, and with your entire heart. When love wins, everyone wins.
“This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another.” — Ellen Page
Smile at people walking by, even if they look different than you. Inquire about someone’s day, and really listen to their answer. Practice patience when people around you make mistakes. It’s the little things that make all the difference.
“We should indeed keep calm in the face of difference, and live our lives in a state of inclusion and wonder at the diversity of humanity.” — George Takei
We are all unique. That’s what brings so much creativity to the world. Notice the little personality quirks in yourself and others that make life special.
PROMOTING MENTAL WELLNESS IN THE LGBTQAI+ COMMUNITY
As a mental health wellness center, we are especially aware of the struggles the LGBTQAI+ community faces. Given the high rates of trauma, violence, discrimination, and barriers to care, the community is at a higher risk for mental health struggles, as evidenced in the statistics below.
- LGBTQAI+ teens are six times more likely to experience symptoms of depression than heterosexual teens.
- LGBTQAI+ youth are more than twice as likely to feel suicidal and over four times as likely to attempt suicide compared to heterosexual youth.
- Forty-eight percent of transgender adults report that they have considered suicide in the last year, compared to four percent of the overall US population.
- Research suggests that LGBTQAI+ individuals face health disparities linked to societal stigma, discrimination, and denial of their civil and human rights.
- Discrimination against LGBTQAI+ persons has been associated with high rates of psychiatric disorders, substance abuse, and suicide.
- Personal, family, and social acceptance of sexual orientation and gender identity affects the mental health and personal safety of LGBT individuals.
THRIVE STANDS WITH THE LGBTQAI+ COMMUNITY
At Thrive we believe everyone should be treated equally, no matter how you identify. Our therapists are passionate about supporting LGBTQAI+ individuals. Many of our therapists even specialize in treating LGBTQAI+-specific challenges. You can learn more about our therapeutic offering by visiting our outpatient services page.